Friday, December 18, 2009

A Fine Weekend

We've been working so much that I am way behind posting and keeping folks up to date.  So this one borrows Terry's title and starts with last weekend . . .  (eventually you'll see why!)

Last Saturday, the 12th, we were scheduled to be Jeannie's Visiting Artists at her gallery The Jeweler's Workbench, http://www.thejewelersworkbench.us/.  The forecast was for some snow and significant ice accumulation.  We talked in the morning and all decided to be safe and just go ahead and cancel.

The very first batch of H1-N1 flu vaccine was finally available to the general public here in Buncombe County and they were doing mass inoculations at the Biltmore Square Mall.  So off we went hoping to get our swine flu shots before the storm hit.

First though we stopped at the Folk Art Center!  This is the first year the Guild has done the annual Christmas Seconds Sale over two Saturdays.  We did very well on at the first one this year, and we had a great time!  (We also loaded up on some wonderful Christmas Presents!)  The second Saturday, last weekend, was obviously just as good a day for the artists.  We had a good look around, visited with our friends.

I bought myself one of Marlow Gates wonderful cobweb brooms ~ I've been eyeing them for a couple of years and somehow just never got around to buying one.  And since it was a studio second I bought a great broom, that is badly needed, at a great price.  Check out Marlow and Diana's work at http://www.friendswoodbrooms.com/

Then off we went to get our vaccinations.  The line was so long that it was spooky!  So we grabbed a bite to eat (Chik-fila ~ terribly overpriced, sometimes decent, this time not; but it did help).  As we ate and watched, the line was shrinking quickly.

Then Alan Hollar and his family stopped to say hello!  Alan's an incredible woodturner.  (We first met through the Guild's Fair Committee; I was just starting with the Committee when he became the Committee Chair.  And he's a great at it!)  We've collected a couple of his jug-form turnings, and he and Evie have collected some of our work too.  Evie is a nurse and just flat out told us to get the shot no matter how long we had to wait.

Then David and Heidi stopped by to say hello!  They were wearing the wedding rings we had made for them and they were both smiling and all glowy.  They had had a good cruise and their rings looked great on them!

So we stood in line, spelling each other and walking around window-shopping.  I discovered an amazing sale at Dillards.  Pat checked it out too.  Then suddenly it was our turn!  It was only about an hour and a half from start to finish.

It was a little gray, but looked okay outside so we checked Dillards out.  Now, I actually like clothes.  I don't really like shopping for clothes though.  I don't know, but I'm starting to suspect shopping for "school clothes"as a kid has something to do with it . . .

They had men's shirts that were exactly the colors I really like, and that Pat likes me in.  I couldn't believe it, but the next thing I knew she had me trying on shirts and really shopping for clothes.  And I enjoyed it!  We both had a great time and I ended buying seven shirts and a new sweater that we both really like.

Between getting a late start, the wait, and shopping we ended up sending most of the day out rather than working.  And the storm never materialized!  Sunday Jeannie said everyone had stayed home anyway and she'd had a slow evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment